[Sca-cooks] Help - Need Cheese Sauce Recipe (non-period)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 22 12:32:53 PST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Amy Cooper wrote:

> What I need help with is the cheese sauce for the cauliflower. I've
> got easy access to Walmart, Win-Dixie and Publix for food. What I need
> to know is a good recipe for cheese sauce, as well as what cheese(s)
> to get to make the sauce. We're probably grocery shopping tonight,
> although the cheese purchase can wait until tomorrow if necessary.
> Help! This list makes the BEST FOOD (period or modern), and ya'll are
> my go-to when I'm stumped food-wise :-)
>
> Many thanks, and may your holiday(s) be bright and blessed!!

1/4 cup flour
2 ounces / 4 Tbs / .5 stick butter
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
pinch white pepper
optional: a little onion powder, etc
~6-8 ounces grated cheese, such as cheddar and/or parmigiano

Melt butter, stir in flour over low heat in heavy pan for around three to five minutes or until the flour just begins to have a toasty aroma, but has not begun to brown.

Add milk and whisk till smooth, bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, whisk once more, reduce heat and simmer over low heat ~15-20 minutes. Skim if necessary.

Add cheese, whisk until cheese is melted and smooth. Check and adjust seasoning and serve.

Makes about three cups, can easily be doubled if necessary.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter