[Sca-cooks] Pasta (alla) Carbonara

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 16:33:02 PST 2009

Okay Emilio, you have read my 'should' more imperatively than I intended.  But be that as it may, if I am wrong, than mea culpa.

All the explanations that I have read about the history of Carbonara is that the the name is derived from the Italian word for charcoal.  Some believe that the dish was first made as a hearty meal for Italian charcoal workers. This theory gave rise to the term "coal miner's spaghetti," which is used to refer to spaghetti alla carbonara in parts of the United States.

So which dish would you rather eat?  Pasta charcoal?  Or Pasta in the style of charcoal workers?

In my humble opinion, I would prefer the latter, because Pasta Carbonara brings up visions of burnt pasta to me. YMMV.

Huette