[Sca-cooks] A Question about farmer's cheese

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Dec 25 00:07:07 PST 2009

><<< Whole Foods is not an average neighborhood market, it is a specialty
>market. It also did not exist in Chicago in 1992. :-)
>
>Margaret FitzWilliam >>>
>
>It did in Austin in 1992. Also in 1982. :-)

The point was that the meaning of Farmers cheese was a regional
thing.  I agree that "Hoop cheese" and the like is not commonly found
in the Midwest.    I suspect that if it could be found in Chicago if
you shopped in Polish or other Eastern European neighborhoods, but
not your ordinary grocery store.

I've seen the solid bland sliceable Farmer's cheese, but even that is
uncommon.  I used to be able to buy "dry cottage cheese" but haven't
seen that for years.

There was talk of farmer's cheese in a foil pack like cream cheese,
and I've never seen or heard of such a thing.  No doubt that it
exists, but not in Wisconsin or Ohio, the two places I've lived.

On the other hand, we can get squeaky cheese, if you like that kind of thing.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Ranvaig