[Sca-cooks] Starlings and quick loaf breads

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 26 00:20:11 PST 2009

On Dec 25, 2009, at 4:33 AM, Liz Wilson wrote:

> What is the difference between starlings and grackles?  In Dallas there
> are tons of grackles that are in the trees downtown, especially in
> the summer.  They are a menace!

Different species; they look vaguely similar in form factor and color, but aren't the same thing. I expect Wiki has photos of both.

> OP:  In cleaning out cabinets the other day I found a Pampered Chef mini
> loaf pan (stoneware, brand new, but I can only find one recipe for mini loaves
> (cranberry orange) on their website.  Can I just use a zucchini bread
> or banana bread recipe as is, or do I need to make adjustments to it since
> the loaves are smaller (4 to a pan).  Any good mini loaf recipes out
> there?

You may find you get best results by raising the oven temperature slightly (maybe 15 degrees F) and shortening the baking time by ten minutes or so. More specific is hard to get without experience with the particular pan and recipe, but in general, this is the type of adjustment needed.

> Also, since this stoneware does not appear to have ever
> been used (maybe once), any suggestions on how to keep the
> loaves from sticking?   I believe the Pampered Chef website says to
> use a fine coating of oil but won't this soak into the loaves and possibly
> make them greasy on the outside?

Some of that vegetable oil spray or a rub of butter and a little flour shaken in to stick to that is a common solution where things like parchment paper are less practical (like irregularly shaped or small pans)... If there's excess flour on the bottom of the loaves when you're done you can brush it away with a pastry brush.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter