[Sca-cooks] peanuts

wyldrose wyldrose at tds.net
Wed Dec 30 08:46:39 PST 2009

The Native Americans harvest another plant that is similar (in the same
family) as the peanut and eat it boiled.  It was one of the staple foods
here for thousands of years (I live in northern Minnesota).  The Choctaws
also had recipes for the peanuts and may have either gotten them  from
contact with the people from the slave trade or also traded with other
Native Americans for them  before white contact.  When I was a kids we grew
them for several years, a fun plant and very easy to grow.
   I was able to fins some 'raw' peanuts up  here at a local co-op and  have
bribed a friend into making boiled peanuts for us this weekend.  I have
never had them before and am looking forward to the experience.
                           Kay