[Sca-cooks] taro root

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 31 19:35:25 PST 2009

Stefan wrote:
>Where did you eat taro root?

In a modern context, i've often enjoyed it in Cuban restaurants with
plenty of butter and garlic, and in Chinese dim sum.

>The little I know about taro root was from sociology textbooks from
>grade school about the South Pacific. Quite some time ago, and perhaps
>as Urtatim says, a bit biased in their writing, being from an American
>point of view. I wasn't aware of it being available, or eaten outside
>of that region.

According to Wikipedia, taro, colocasia esculenta, was probably
originally native to the wetlands of Indonesia.

SCA cooks, however, should not find it alien as it is featured in
recipes in the Apician cookbook and in SCA period Arabic language
cookbooks.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita