[Sca-cooks] Sauce made with blood

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 17:18:24 PST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 6:37 PM, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> I'm doing some research on the sauce from Rumpolt called "Ein
> Pfeffer", which is made with blood.  I'm looking for other sauce
> recipes with blood, especially German recipes, but I'd be interested
> in others as well.  I'm aware of blood sausage, but I'm only looking
> for sauce recipes using fresh blood.  I found the following recipes
> from Welserin.

In addition to the Le Menagier recipes Johnnae mentions, I seem to
recall a number of English pottages that are essentially meat in
sauce, in which blood is featured in the sauce. Most of the civy/cyuey
recipes (in which onions appear to be the essential ingredient, and
the probable source of the name) include blood. Civeys are still
served today in France, and blood is now considered the
distinguishing, essential ingredient, more so even than onion.

Various dishes under the heading of "chaudun" also frequently include
blood. As with civeys, another ingredient (cooked, chopped or
pulverized innards, such as sieved liver or other giblet-like parts)
is usually regarded as "the without whom none" -- IOW, without which
it is not a chaudun -- but blood is still almost always included.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter