[Sca-cooks] Soup and eggs question

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 14:59:55 PST 2009

Most likely the soup will be made ahead. The kitchen is small, so it is hard to share all weekend with the ones who will also be using it-the Travelers' Fare for Friday Night and the Royal Luncheon on Saturday Morning. The Soup, the breads, and whatever else will be made ahead, if it can be canned or frozen (preferably frozen)
It is the logististics of poaching 12 dozen eggs that is intemidating. Imagine, if you will, standing over a pot of boiling stock or water, breaking one egg into a small bowl, stirring the stock vigorously, creating a vortex, and quickly sliding the egg into the vortex while removing the spoon, carefully. Now, do that 144-150 times.
Now you see why coddled or hard-boiled eggs sounds so much better, faster, easier.
And stuffed eggs can be done in batches, the night before.

Do it one way, that will take up a knowledgable kitchen staffer all day, or do it the fast and easier way, where you can have? couple of not-so-experienced staffers working together when the help is plentiful....

That is the dilemma.

Helen

BTW-been there, already read it. ;-D