[Sca-cooks] mushrooms

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 16:15:52 PST 2009

>I picked up a couple boxes of clearance fancy mushrooms, including shitake, oyster and enoki mushrooms, about a pound in all.  Any suggestions how to use them?

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I went modern and more or less followed Alton Brown's Mushroom stuffed tomatoes, except that I stuffed both tomatoes, and yellow peppers and used the fresh mushrooms rather than his dried ones.  I had a mix of oyster mushrooms, enoki, shitake, and white mushrooms.  I didn't have parsley on hand, and left the panko out too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stuffed-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

I sauteed the onion and garlic, then added the shitaki and white mushrooms, let them sautee for a bit, then added the tender mushrooms.  Meanwhile I cut 3 stem tomatoes in half across the equator, giving 6 pieces, and cut the pepper into quarters.  Each one got a spoon of the mushrooms, a bit of goat cheese (no parsley on hand), and a little grated asiago, just because.  Then baked in a 500 F oven, because a gas stove's broiler is more trouble than its worth.

They turned out lovely, except that I stumbled and a plate with two of the stuffed peppers ended on the floor.   The dog liked them, but they weren't intended for him.  :(

Ranvaig