[Sca-cooks] Paczki (was Shrove Tuesday)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 23:59:12 PST 2009

Johnnae said:

<<< No pancakes but I did procure lemon filled paczki for the heir./
Here in southeastern Michigan it is Paczki/ Day! The press accounts
say: "But paczki (pronounced POONCH-key) are no ordinary Polish
pastries.

They're hulking softball-sized slabs of deep-fried dough filled with
jelly or custard, not to mention 420 calories and 25 grams of fat." >>>

Lol. I'd never heard of these paczki before, but I saw some packages
of lemon or strawberry filled ones in my local grocery store when I
was in there today and bought a package. We don't have much (any?)
Polish community here. To me they looked very similar to the jelly
filled donuts I sometimes do see here. They were softball size, but
more donut shaped than spherical.

So, what are "ordinary Polish pastries", if these aren't them?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com