[Sca-cooks] chemical leavening

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 01:38:03 PST 2009

Even in my own creation of a pampapato recipe includes baking soda,
something that our medieval counterparts would not have had access
to. What
I need to do is go back, not use any levener whatsoever in one batch and
use baking ammonia (which would be more appropriate for our period of
study
as far as chemical leveners go).

Odriana vander Brugghe >>>

It's not just the chemical leavener that's OOP; notice the reference
also
says the pampapato was made with cocoa and had a chocolate frosting
and was
served at a banquet in 1465.  Unless the Duke had sent his own
expedition
to the western hemisphere, chocolate wasn't known, much less used, in
Europe at the time of his feast.  Perhaps there's an older recipe for
pampapato somewhere that doesn't include chocolate.

Sandra
----------

I would agree on the chocolate, but not all chemical leavenings are
out of period. Hartshorn, for instance. I'm not sure it's use was
that widespread but using a leavening agent doesn't necessarily say a
recipe is out of period. See this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of
the Florilegium for some more details.

leavening-msg     (36K)  3/20/08    Period leavening agents other
than yeast.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas