[Sca-cooks] OT: Do we need cold-food recipes for Drakey and Co.?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 09:50:42 PST 2009

> .... I was already in a Drakey state of mind when I came back inside,
> to find waiting for me photos sent me by a friend, who has relatives
> in Adelaide, where it is expected to go up to 92F, 33C, and where a
> koala had just strolled up to a family's back porch, looking for a
> drink, and when presented with a pail of cool water, dove right in.
>
> So, who's got recipes for a nice chilled fruit or cucumber soup, maybe
> a cold poached fish in a vinegar sauce? My current project seems to be
> centering on joutes with boiled bacon, which is probably more
> appropriate for here...

My favorite chilled soup.  A bit unusual, but extremely refreshing on a
hot day.

ICED CUCUMBER SOUP

Cucumber Cold Soup  - Oi Naeng-kuk

Cucumber  :  2

Slivered wakame:  1 Tbsp [optional]

Green onion  :  1/2 stalk

Garlic  :  1 clove

Soy sauce  :  2 Tbsp

Vinegar  :  3 Tbsp

Sugar  :  1 Tbsp

Sesame seed, roasted  :  1/2 tsp

Hot pepper powder  :  1 tsp or to taste

Water:  4 cups

Salt

1. Wash the cucumbers scrubbing with salt.  Cut them in thin strips, or
slice them 1/10 inch thick.

2. Crush the garlic and chop the green onion.

3. Put the cucumbers, wakame, green onion, garlic, hot pepper powder,
and 1 tablespoonful of vinegar in a bowl. Mix them well by hand.

4. Combine the remaining vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce with 4 cups of
cooled water.

5. For serving, pour the cooled soup on the mixture in the bowl, then
sprinkle the

roasted sesame seeds. Transfer it to individual bowls. This is often
served with an ice

cube in the bowl.