[Sca-cooks] Aftermath of a Visit to an Oriental Market

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 15 07:23:06 PST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:

> Took a look at the image... can identify roughly half of the items,
> if only by thier labels in English.  Figured the jar on the top left
> was probably Hosin Sauce, the one on the right a red pepper sauce
> but the green sauce in the middle I could not guess at.  So...
> please give us a list identifing the items by thier place in the
> image.
>
> Daniel

Photoshop is your friend. The lovely little bowls are self-
explanatory... I wasn't able to identify all the jars, either: the one
on the left looks like some species of soybean chili paste, the one in
the middle apparently says it's seasoned sesame seeds (this would be a
Japanese thing you sprinkle on rice, I believe), and the one on the
right could be anything. I can't read all the characters on the jar on
the left, but maybe spouse can after enough caffeine is flowing
through her veins.

In the first row of packets, we've got rice flour, Extra Hot and Sour
Soup Mix, Wun Yi / cloud ear fungus, looks like, Non-Extra Hot and
Sour Soup Mix (for those days when Extra Hot And Sour is just too much
of a good thing?), and water chestnut flour, alleged to be the bee's
knees for the world's crispest deep frying, among other applications.

Second row is white sesame seed, what looks like white peppercorns,
"dried prickly ash", a.k.a. Szechuan peppercorns, dried chiles, star
anise and black sesame seed.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter