[Sca-cooks] back from war - siege cooking

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Feb 18 14:58:05 PST 2009

back home safe and sound, tho the vehicle had its problems
coming home... (another mechanic's child gets to go to
college!)

anyhoo, siege cooking was great.   very challenging.
congratulations to the cooks of artemesia on their win.
the outlands came in second, followed by atenveldt.  caid
did not  mount a team.

our team consisted of two experienced cooks (Gwen-Cat and
myself), one intermediate (lady auria) and two wonderful
novices (lord cedric and lord tyron).  ya gotta learn some
time!   our diswasher and judge extraordinaire (countess
claudia and mistress aldyth respectively) were fantastic.
lord cedric had built his very own beehive oven in the
camp of the college of st. golias, and it was used to full
capacity.

we got a few ingredients that stymied us (why, o why do we
outlanders have such a problem with farm raised venison?
perhaps our stalwart hunters have us spoiled with the
wild stuff!)

so here is a listing of ingredients and what we made for a
Russian (!) theme...

i think i have this right... if not, Gwen-Cat or Aldyth
can
correct me on the positioning. 8) we got more herbs than
anyone could imagine, and several unusual ingredients
(kefir, kasha). unfortunately, i can no longer remember
which dish the spaetzle accompanied...

cailte

THE INGREDIENTS:

Venison Loin
Pork Tenderloin

Carrots
Turnips
Onions
Beets
Radishes
Cabbage

Flour (unbleached wheat)
Eggs
Butter (1 pound!)
Kefir (i thought it was buttermilk)
Vinegar (apple cider)
Mead
Honey

Prunes

Fresh sage
Fresh mint
Fresh bay
Fresh dill

Black pepper (fine ground)
White pepper (fine ground - had us stumped a bit)
Caraway
Fennel
Anise
Cumin
Ground Clove
Ground Cinnamon
Thyme
Rosemary
Salt

from the pantry
not much to pick from...  rye flour and YES! more
prunes!!!!

THE FOOD:

First Course - Relish tray and Breads

Venison tartare
Pickled turnips (cloves)
Pickled beets (bay)
Pickled eggs (bay)
Pickled carrots (caraway)
Radishes (not pickled) 8)
Kasha bread with seeds (fennel, caraway, etc)
Prune filled kollach style bread
Butter
Salt
Water flavored with mint, vinegar and honey

Second Course - Pork

Pork stuffed cabbage in a vegetable broth

Roast honeyed sage pork stuffed with prunes
Roast carrots
Spaetzle (?)

A bit of mead to clear the palate

Third Course - Venison

Venison/turnip roulades in a mead and honey glaze
Candied beets and carrots

Venison cubes marinated in kefir with kefir/dill sauce
Kasha with onions sauted in butter
( i do believe this was the hit of the day)

Dessert - Prun-iliciousness

Blini (rye and wheat blend)
Prunes (whole) stewed in mead, cinnamon, cloves and honey
Warm spiced mead

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico