[Sca-cooks] A question sure to cause controversy

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 19 08:16:59 PST 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Susan Lin wrote:

> Do people prefer Chef de Cuisine (or some version thereof) or is
> Feast-o-crat okay?  I know people who absolutely despise F-O-C and
> can be
> verbally violent about it.  I came from the East where it seemed to be
> routinely used but now in the Outlands I've had to watch what I say.

I remember that term becoming popular in the mid-to-late 80's in the
East (I remember a lady from Meridies referring to me by that term,
and I didn't really know at the time what it meant), and I live in the
group that, at one time, _was_ the East.

Yes, you still occasionally hear the term, but I think a lot of people
are trying to avoid it (also autocrat), since there are several terms
that can be used which not only describe the role more accurately, but
also in a manner more consistent with the goals of a group attempting
to portray history.

It needlessly removes the person you're describing from a role in
period society, and that is somewhat akin to standing in the lists at
a Crown Tourney and loudly calling the finalists stick-jocks, or
fencers wire-weenies. Yes, one could argue it's an accurate
description [one could also argue to the contrary]; it's just not as
good a description as we're capable of using.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter