[Sca-cooks] Question about Citron Leaves

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jan 4 14:27:42 PST 2009

Looking at the recipe, it says: "and place them in a dish spread with
citron leaves." Later it says:
"separate eggyolks and garnish the dish with them as well as with "eyes"
of rue, mint, and citron [leaves]. Sprinkle over this what you wish of
fine spices and present it. It is made the same way with gourd, down to
the letter, except that the saffron is omitted and sticks of thyme are
added, God willing."

So this seems to be something to lay the eggplants on and a garnish
before one uses the fine spices. Are you using rue, mint and citron?
Or just citron and mint and omitting the rue?
Books that have adapted these recipes that call for citron leaves seem
to use lemon in place of the citron leaves in the cooking.
I don't find that they garnish with citron leaves. (Some call for
garnishing with lemon peel.)

I suppose the question is how many kaffir lime leaves would you need and
their cost at the end of February. That might help with the
decision.

Johnnae