[Sca-cooks] Which lentils are "period"?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jan 5 18:18:23 PST 2009

Lentils are of Old World origin.  The cultivated varieties belong primarily
to Lens culinaris (L. esculenta) and are divided into two subspecies
taxonomical divided by seed size.  The large seed ssp. is primaarily
culitvated in the Mediterranean Basin, Africa and Asia Minor.  The small
seed ssp. is primarily found in western and southwestern Asia, especially
India.  At present there are four accepted wild species.  The proper
taxonomy is a subject of on-going debate.

There is evidence that they were gathered in Greece 13,000 to 9,500 years
ago and in the Near East 10,000 to 9,500 years ago.  Lentils have been found
in Bronze Age sites in Switzerland.  Domestication probably occurred between
10,000 and 7,000 years ago, but it is impossible to determine where they
were originally domesticated.  By historical times, lentils were common fare
in North Africa, Southern Europe, and the Near East.  The larger brown or
green lentil was probably more common than the other colors, but red lentils
were apparently grown in Egypt before the Islamic expansion.

You will find recipes for lentils in Apicius and an inventory from
Staffelsee show payments of lentils as rent during Charlemagne's time.

Bear