[Sca-cooks] Request for food info some OOP

Lisa ladyemp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 6 13:15:24 PST 2009

> 2. I'm doing some?vinegar research and I recall a friend gifting us with
> something called "five thieves vinegar"? which had a story behind it
> dating to possibly the black plague.? Does anyone have a recipe for this
> and/or a source for the backstory?
>
> -Ardenia

I found this in one of my herb books, The Illustrated Herb Encyclopedia:

Four Thieves Vinegar or Marseilles Vinegar
    This recipe was still used until the late 19th century, although without
the camphor (a good idea, considering it can be toxic when taken internally)
and rue.  Some versions even eliminated the garlic!.  Herbs can be used
dried or fresh.
4 oz each:
rosemary tops
sage flowers,
garlic, sliced
2 oz lavendar flowers
1 1/2 oz rue flowers (if available)
1 oz camphor
1 tsp cloves, ground
1 gallon wine vinegar

combine all ingredients in a bottle and let stand 7 days, occasionally
giving it a good shake.  Strain out the solid.