[Sca-cooks] Citron leaves / Cinnamon buds

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Jan 7 00:13:48 PST 2009

Stefan li Rous asked:
> Is "flower of cloves" the blossom of the clove plant? or cloves
> pounded into a powder?
>
> Maybe it is just time and learning, but some of these recipe
> ingredients don't seem quite as unusual as they did several years ago
> when I first tried to figure out how I might make them. :-)

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Cinn_zey.html

Gernot Karzer does have a picture of flowers of Cinnamon or Cinnamon buds on
his pages and I have bought them here in Vienna.
They are used in a Hypocras recipe I have, from  the Medieval Cookbook by
Mary Black transcript Curye on Inglysch IV199 Piment. If you read the
original and forget the redactions the book is not so bad.
This recipe also uses spykenard of Spain

here is also an excerpt of Karzers pages:
Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi, Valerianaceae/Dipsacales/Cornidae) is a
similar case: It is also native to the Himalaya region and is of great
importance for perfumery, but in our times practically never used for
cooking. The related herb Valeriana celtica (Alpine valerian, speick) was,
since the Middle Ages, often used as a cheaper substitute for expensive
spikenard.

Some of the other spices do sound strange s I would not use seeds and twigs
of Elder.

regards Katharina
Drachenwald

> Message: 3