[Sca-cooks] First Catch Your...dulse?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 16:58:56 PST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> "First steal a chicken" shows up as a Hungarian joke.
> Google books indicates for
> Hungarian chicken fricassee or chicken paprikash.

I believe the common joke (I doubt it's anything more) is this is
traditionally supposed to be the text of an old gypsy recipe. But I
have trouble buying into the idea that the Rom folk, living among
other people, with few written texts, no real literary tradition and
no publishing industry, are writing culturally-specific recipes in
such an organized manner that they always begin with this phrase, or,
for that matter, that a culture who always steals chickens (it being
difficult to raise them on the road, presumably), needs to be reminded
of this.

Consequently, I'm sort of assuming it's made up by someone else as a
poke at the group in question...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter