[Sca-cooks] ginormous amounts of cabbage

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 21:36:39 PST 2009

Adamantius replied to me with:

< On Jan 9, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
So what are you planning on making with this ginormous amount of
cabbage? Stuffed cabbages? >

<< It's being shredded, so I doubt it's being stuffed.>>

Oops. Okay, I forgot that detail.  Are there any period dishes which
are stuffed with shredded cabbage instead of being stuffed in cabbage??

< pickled cabbages, sauerkraut? Although I seem to remember no one
having definative proof for sauerkraut being period, or at least no
recipe. >

<< Apart from the remains of pots of pickled cabbage being found in the
base of the Great Wall of China and elsewhere, I believe sauerkraut is
mentioned in Marx Rumpolt. >>

I don't consider those remains at the base of the Great Wall of China
to be "period". And that is pickled, not fermented.

Okay, reading through this Florilegium file again:
sauerkraut-msg    (36K)  9/25/05    Period sauerkraut and pickled
cabbage.
I see that we definitely have a number of references to "sauerkraut"
including Rumpolt. But none of them give directions or a recipe. So
we really don't know whether they were referring to a fermented
product or just a salted one.  I think it is highly likely that we
are talking about a fermented product, but its hard to prove.  Once
you have the right microbes in the environment, in the cask or
whatever, I think you are sooner or later going to get a fermented
product, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get the right ones,
although having a cask previously used to make fermented product
would certainly help.

Many of our fighters seem to like to drink pickle juice (yuck!). We
can go through several gallon jars at one event.  Maybe we need to
try sauerkraut juice? :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas