[Sca-cooks] January 2009 MK Cooks Challenge-- Cheeses

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 11:50:43 PST 2009

Mistress Helewyse suggested on MK Cooks:
"A cheese tasting, compared to the English most Americans do not have a
taste for cheese, I believe it is the difference in the cheese mongers,
perhaps our proximity to Europe.
There are so many variables to explore:
The same cheese made from pasteurized and raw milk
Goat, sheep, cow, buffalo milk cheeses
Aged and young
The various forms of adding mold to cheese (blue, Camembert, brie etc)
To give you an example.  In this country I am sometimes lucky to come
across Lancashire cheese (Lancashire btw is my home county).  When I
find it here it is presented as a single type of cheese.  If I go to a
market in Burnley (nearest decent food market, think farmers market type
thing) then I can buy:
creamy Lancashire - very soft on the palate
crumbly Lancashire - almost chalky texture
Tasty Lancashire - a balance between creamy texture and sharp taste
Farmhouse Lancashire - the more aged one, much bolder, made only by
small producers (hence the name).

It would probably mean a trip to Ann Arbor for me, to gather the tasting
samples, as Whole Foods has a decent cheese selection and a
knowledgeable staff.  I still miss the cheese shop I used to go to in
Bath it was a mecca.

Helewyse
homesick all of a sudden"

I suggested that "Or you could float a loan and head for Zingerman's.
http://www.zingermans.com/Category.aspx?category=birthplace_of_cheddar
http://www.zingermans.com/Category.aspx?category=cheeses

Plum's Market off Maple in west Ann Arbor also has a good selection of
imported cheeses."

Johnnae