[Sca-cooks] Non Medicinal Cordials

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 18 19:50:55 PST 2009

Aldyth asked:

<<< Can someone point me in the direction of primary source
documentation?  I
read the Medici descriptions. >>>

What do you mean by "non-medicinal" cordials? I doubt you will find
that division in any period texts.

There are some original cordial recipes and quotes of other primary
source documentation given in this file in the BEVERAGES section of
the Florilegium. Too many for me to requote here.
cordials-msg     (126K)  2/26/06    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA
creations.

I don't think I have the Medici descriptions in this file, but would
be happy to add them.

There is a period recipe for a cordial in this file, originally
written as A&S documentation:
Clarea-d-Agua-art (12K)  1/ 7/01    "Period drinks - Spiced Wines and
Sweet
                                        Waters" by Vicente Coenca.

These three were also written as A&S documentation, but concentrate
on giving proof that the ingredients were period rather than on
following a specific period recipe:
Apricot-Crdal-art (12K)  6/30/00    "Apricot Cardamom Cordial"
                                        by Constance de LaRose.
Kiwi-cordial-art  (10K)  6/23/00    "Prickly Gooseberry, Mango,
Cardamom,
                                        Cordial" by Constance de LaRose.
Peach-Brandy-art  (12K) 10/25/01    "Peach Coriander Brandy" by Lady
Constance
                                        de LaRose.

Stefan
--------