[Sca-cooks] OOP: Tentative Lunar New Year Menu

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Tue Jan 20 16:08:10 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
>-- Jai/ Buddhist Delight (if we haven't, by this time, made spring rolls
previously, this could end up as spring roll filling) -- mixed vegetables,
cellophane noodles, shredded bean curd sheets, with black mushrooms, dried
shrimp and scallops, braised in oyster sauce

I thought Buddhist Delight was vegetarian?

Ranvaig>>>

I thought so too. What few recipes I have, none have seafood.
4 dried Shiitake or Chinese black mushrooms
1/2 cup dried lily buds
4 dried bean curd sticks
8 ounces bamboo shoots
6 fresh water chestnuts
2 large carrots
1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
4 ounces snow peas
1/4 cup canned gingko nuts
1 knuckle of ginger, crushed
Sauce:
4 tablespoons reserved mushroom soaking liquid or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Other:
Vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, as needed
Salt.

I did find online a Lo Han Jai/Buddha's Delight with scallions
http://tinyurl.com/7j8wqs

To my understanding from a friend who is learning to be Buddhist, that
vegetarian meals are to be eaten in the first five days of the new year for
cleansing. No meat, fish, or poultry. Buddha's Delight is recommended for
those first 5 days. So I am assuming that maybe the added scallions, shrimp
and oyster sauce is a newer form under the name and possibly made for
everyday restaurant meals and not for a meal during one of 5 days after the
new year for a traditional Buddhist.

De