[Sca-cooks] OOP: Tentative Lunar New Year Menu

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 18:24:52 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:34 PM, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

>> -- Jai/ Buddhist Delight (if we haven't, by this time, made spring
>> rolls previously, this could end up as spring roll filling) --
>> mixed vegetables, cellophane noodles, shredded bean curd sheets,
>> with black mushrooms, dried shrimp and scallops, braised in oyster
>> sauce
>
> I thought Buddhist Delight was vegetarian?

Vegan, sometimes not, but it's meatless, depending on how you define
meat. I was a little surprised to see the dried seafood included, but
I gather it's pretty common both in restaurants and in monasteries to
do it that way.

My own (very limited) experience with Buddhist vegetarianism is that
they're not as a rule, vehemently anti-meat, or especially militant
about it, they just feel it's not for them, and acknowledge a place
for meat in the average person's diet. This is why they have so many
vegetable-based meat substitutes based on bean curd and gluten and
such. These things can be eaten (and in my opinion, are better)
without having to pretend they're meat, but there's a sort of
structural serendipity to having meat in your menu in some people's
eyes, and apparently the dried seafood is within the rule structure
for some people.

Adamantrius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter