[Sca-cooks] peacocks

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jan 25 12:34:24 PST 2009

> ?? You have laws about what you can put in your own stomach?
>
> --
> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

What we have are laws about that which can be legally bought, sold and
possessed.  For example, possession of a deer taken out of season and
without the appropriate tags and licenses is unlawful.  Eating said deer
could be considered unlawfully disposing of evidence of a crime.  Selling
the meat bypasses Food and Drug Administration reguilations, which is
another set of crimes.

I believe (I'm having some problems with Findlaw) the particular ordinance
that was referenced is about the trapping and transporting of pea fowl
within Palos Verdes Estates.  There is an ongoing dispute between
individuals and groups that consider them pest and others that want to
preserve them.  In a previous lawsuit, Palos Verdes Estates established a
limit of 21 feral pea fowl to be permitted within the jurisdiction, which
satisfied the pea fowl lovers.  A couple in Palos Verdes Estates has been
trapping pea fowl on their property and transporting them from the
jurisdiction violating the city's agreed settlement.  To maintain their
settlement agreement, Palos Verdes Estates has ordered that pea fowl can not
be captured or transported within the jurisdiction without a permit.
Apparently, similar limits have been established in other jurisdictions
including LA County.  It probably did not occur to the city fathers that
someone might have obtained a live pea fowl lawfully from some other place
and be transporting them through their jurisdiction.

A live pea fowl purchased fom a legal farming operation is not feral, has
not been trapped unlawfully and being transported in a lawful manner
probably does not fall under the ordinance.  A bill of sale would provide
verifiable evidence of ownership of the bird.

Bear