[Sca-cooks] Sauerkraut

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Mon Jan 26 10:41:28 PST 2009

Thanks Stefan for the Florythingy. It answered my first questions about
making sauerkraut.

My unanswered question is about temperature.

One source said you should keep the kraut at 65-70 degrees for the first 4-5
days so you get the correct leuconostoc started. After that time you can put
it in a cooler location. At a secondary phase a second leuconostoc (iirc)
takes over and increases the acidity.

Has anyone here dealt with this when making kraut? I started 10 lb of
cabbage and it is on my kitchen counter right now. I would prefer to move it
to a back room that is not heated but don't want to mess it up. Most of the
recipes seemed to go directly to the root cellar or garage.

Randell Raye