[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: Help! Lost text!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 27 15:37:56 PST 2009

Actually the Sion S. 108 manuscript (now that it has been identified) is
not dated 1250.
Scully dates it as second half of the 13th century. It's probably closer
to 1300 than 1250.
According to Thomas Gloning who has it posted--

Aebischer: "L'écriture de notre manuscrit sédunois est très soignée,
d'une belle gothique de la seconde moitié du XIIIe siècle, ou au plus
tard des toutes premières années du siècle suivant" (p. 74). Scully
(1988, 3): "A parchment roll from the second half of the thirteenth
century"; "Aebischer points out that the early date of the Valais
manuscript indicates that the Guillaume Tirel [i.e. Taillevent, TG] who
was studied by Pichon and Vicaire could not have been the author of the
original version of the /Viandier/". Vgl. Aebischer 1953, 78-80 ("Et
alors? Une conclusion seule s'impose: c'est que S représente un
/Viandier/ antérieur à Taillevent"; p. 80).

http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/viandier-sion.htm

Or see  Scully's  The Viandier of Taillevent, page 3.

Johnnae