[Sca-cooks] Gourmet/Kitchen Store Closings OT OP

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Jan 28 06:54:08 PST 2009

We lost two of our specialty stores in the last couple of years.  In one
case (Broadway Market...imported foods, wines, and good conversation, lol!),
the owner was in his 90s and wanted to retire.  He's since passed on, dang
it.  The other store (In Good Taste) has been gone 3 years or so, and I miss
it.  We've got one left, Red Rooster Trading, but they're more an overall
life-style store that happens to have some kitchen items.  Oh, and we've
still got the Good Food Store, which is our homegrown analog for a Trader
Joe's or Whole Foods.  Haven't lost our local sources for odd herbs and
spices, either (Butterfly Herbs), at least in part because they're also a
successful coffee bar/import store.
I would expect, in a shrinking economy (and in the mood people are in,
whether their local economy is in the dumps or not) that demand for "luxury"
stuff would be on the decline....
--Maire (in northern Artemisia, mundanely, Missoula, MT)