[Sca-cooks] OT: And From Our File of Ancient Traditions You Never Heard Of, #716

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 28 13:18:43 PST 2009

Hullo, the list!

I just got back from a lunch date with an old friend I hadn't seen in
a few months. We had a lovely time eating inexpensive Indian food
(lamb do piaz, hubba hubba!) in one of the 287 Indian restaurants on
East Sixth Street, and shooting the breeze.

As many on this list are aware, we celebrate the Lunar New Year as a
semi-religious holiday around here, and in general we've tried over
the years to adhere as best we can to the traditions with which my
wife and I were raised. A lot of them rear their heads around the New
Year season. Whenever I think I've got a handle on all of them, I find
there are two or three more I'd never heard of, so in general I try
not to let myself be surprised, and to go with the flow as much as
possible, and figure it all out as I go.

So, this morning I am alone in the house, preparing to leave. I spot
at the front door the enormous carmine-red lacquered bowl that
normally lives on our dining table, which we theoretically use for
fruit, but which also can accumulate almost any small object that had
gravitated toward the dining table. A pencil stub, a binder clip,
maybe a gently-used but not burnt-out light bulb, half a loaf of
commercial sliced potato bread. Six paper napkins from a recent pizza
delivery. You know. Stuff.

Last week, in preparation for New Year's, we brought home about two
dozen large, sweet, beautiful navel oranges and placed them in the
bowl on the dining table. At some point on the evening before New
Year's Day, the bowl had migrated to the front door, where it has
remained, dispensing oranges, little red envelopes stuffed with small
amounts of lucky money, and little hard candies, through the New Year
celebration. Guests, if any, pick up oranges, an envelope, and some
candy as they leave, the UPS man or the postal carrier, the building
super, they frequently receive these items (the building super doesn't
get $2 in his envelope, though!).

After a few days, the bowl isn't empty, but I can see the bottom.
Knowing that my lady wife would be pleased to know that I had brought
our friend oranges, red envelopes, and candy for himself and his wife,
I picked these items up and placed them in a bag, then looked down
into the bottom of the bowl. There, at the bottom, are about a dozen
little plastic packets. They appear to contain soy sauce, duck sauce,
and mustard.

For a  few minutes I pondered this quandary. What do I do with the soy
sauce, duck sauce and mustard? Are we supposed to be giving these out
to people to add savor to their lives in the coming year? It wouldn't
be the most bizarre thing I'd ever heard. Okay, what if they're just
random soy sauce, duck sauce and mustard from the takeout restaurant
down the street, and they just happened to get buried under oranges
and forgotten? After all, sometimes soy sauce is just soy sauce. On
the other hand, what if these packets are deemed essential to
everybody's having a good year? You know, the Butterfly Effect? Could
I be ruining someone's year, and possibly even their lives, for
Heaven's sake, by _not_ presenting them with little packets of soy
sauce, duck sauce and mustard? Who am I to say what's important and
not important? Do I want to take a chance on being responsible for a
major downturn in somebody's life, _just_ because of my selfish and
lazy failure to do right by them and give them soy sauce for New
Year's? Well, I didn't want that on my conscience!

So, dutifully, I added a few packets of soy sauce, duck sauce, and
mustard to the bag and went out. I'm over 99% sure that they're of
absolutely no significance whatsoever; I just wanted to see my
friend's face when I explained to him _WHY_ he was getting the soy
sauce.

We discussed this over lunch, and he said I could probably have simply
left the soy sauce home and fibbed to my lady wife, telling her that I
had delivered the condiments when in fact I had not. I didn't feel
that that was right, though; it felt like a neon sign begging for bad
karma, to me. No, I said, you're just going to have to take your soy
sauce, duck sauce and mustard like a man, and if you have a problem
with it, take it up with Susan.

There are all sorts of punch lines I'm sure we could come up with, but
I think we probably don't need to embellish this little story any. I'm
going to ask my wife about the soy sauce this evening, and I'm sure it
just got there by accident -- but it never hurts to be sure!

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter