[Sca-cooks] Cook's Illustrated

Barbara Dodge awench1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 31 11:34:28 PST 2009

I've been a subscriber to their magazine and then their website for over 10
years .  It seems like I learn something new with each edition.  In addition
to the TV program "America's Test Kitchen", the same producers also have a
program and magazine called "Cooks Country".  It has the same qualities as
"America's Test Kitchen" where they re-create recipes so they are more user
friendly.

The difference between the two programs and magazines seems to be the
"elegance" of the dish being prepared. For example, ATK may do a
chateaubriand (they ran this episode this morning) or creme brulee, whereas
CC will do a pot roast and banana cream pie.  Muck like Alton Brown's "Good
Eats" program, ATK & CCs TV programs and websites explain the science behind
what is happening to your food, and how to avoid undesireable outcomes.

I use these resources frequently when I am looking for new kitchen gadget
recommendations.  I look at the magazine as the "Consumers Reports" for
foodies since they do not do any type of commercial advertizing in their
magazines.

Happy Cooking!

Felicia
Barony of Marinus