[Sca-cooks] Aenia's questions

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Tue Jan 6 20:54:42 PST 2009

> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Aenia's questions
>
> 1. We currently have a vegetarian living with us.? We're
> serious carnivores,?

Given that your household is largely carnivores and this one person is
vegetarian (largely) why is She not cooking her own main dish for family
meals? In this case if she was raised Vegetarian I can certainly understand
her body's inability to handle particularly red meats and I sympathize.  As
a born carnivore I have severe problems with most cereals and legumes which
cause me serious discomfort and even medical problems such as yeast
infections.  So I do sympathize with her in the other direction.

Is she is paying rent and part of the deal is that you do the cooking?
Otherwise, it seems that it would be fairer for her to cook something that
she can share with you rather than expect you to cater to her needs.
Certainly she should be actively engaged in the search for and preparation
of mutually acceptable foods.  This is a situation she will have to live
with all her life (us carnivore/omnivores being so ubiquitous :-)

A friend had her daughter decide to become Vegan.  She promptly told the
girl that it was up to her to cook for herself and if she was using
foodstuffs bought with the family budget the dishes had to be available to
the entire family.  The girl took up the challenge and has become an awesome
cook to the point of being asked to cook for some of her Mother's friends!

Regina