[Sca-cooks] Beef stock

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 19:00:16 PST 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 9:55 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>> Red wine and mushrooms turn up in late 18th and early 19th century
>> recipes for brown stocks and sauces, at around the same time
>> tomatoes are entering the mainstream European culinary repertoire.
>> I don't think there's a huge body of evidence to suggest that brown
>> stocks as we know them are much older than the practice of adding
>> tomatoes to them.
>

> Rumpolt calls for "braune Brühe" (brown broth) in some of his
> recipes and "ein braune Brühe/ die
> du von einem Braten hast abgegossen/" ([I think] a brown stock that
> you have got from a roast).

That sounds about right, as a translation. I'm just not sure how
widespread such a practice would have been.

It's really interesting, though, that for so many hundreds of years
some form of pottage was on virtually every table, but stock as we
know it doesn't seem to become the all-important "fond du cuisine"
until the 18th century or so...

Adamantius (thinking about looking it up in La Varenne but dreading a
lot of typing)