[Sca-cooks] Beef stock paws or claws!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 11:03:02 PST 2009

On Jan 11, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I think it's a matter of someone not speaking "the Queen's English"
> as their
> first language.  It happens in a lot of languages...I don't recall
> what the
> exact translation meant, but, for example, in Japan, they had to
> change the
> Japanese version of the English name for Coca Cola as it came out
> meaning
> something pretty awful.

As I recall, some original ad copy, translated into Japanese, was
interpreted as "Coke restores life to your dead ancestors." Later,
when attempts were made to repair this unfortunate colloquial error,
it allegedly came out as, "Coke bites the wax tadpole." [The original
in English was "Coke adds life."]

I'm not sure I believe the second part, but it's a commonly repeated
tale.

And then, of course, there were stories of the mysteriously low sales
numbers for the Chevrolet Nova automobile throughout the Spanish-
speaking world. While, technically, it does sort of sound like "Chevy
doesn't go", I find it hard to accept the idea that this is the first
thing anybody who thinks in Spanish, which is derived from Latin,
thinks when they hear that.

>  Another example is reading the English version of
> how to use chopsticks as found on the chopstick wrappers you get in
> Chinese
> restaurants!  And...I know for sure that, if you pronounce the
> Chinese word
> for mother the wrong way, with the wrong inflection (in pin-yin
> Mandarin),

And I might point out that Mandarin has fewer tones than most Chinese
dialects.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter