[Sca-cooks] January 2009 MK Cooks Challenge

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 22:04:20 PST 2009

>Suggest only ONE or TWO possible items that might serve as acceptable
>"tasting"  topics for a 1-hour session as a class or discussion panel. For

Various vinegars and verjuice.  red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, sherry vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar cane vinegar,  cider vinegar, malt vinegar, alegar, balsamic vinegar (both the real thing and a cheap one), white balsmic vinegar, raisin vinegar, cane vinegar, date vinegar, honey vinegar  The differences between mass produced vinegar, artisan vinegars, aged vinegars, and home made vinegars.  Then there is the difference between vinegar brewed from fruit wine, and fruit flavored vinegar.  We could discuss which ones are most like period vinegar, and how vinegar effected the humors.  Taste both straight vinegar and in a period recipe.  The same recipe with vinegar and with verjuice. I think this could draw non-cooks too.

And I'm working on developing a class for the various sauces found in Rumpolt:  Pepper sauce, apple gesharb, almond gesharb, pobrat sauce, sour cherry sauce, and others.  Hopefully, I will present it this summer.

Ranvaig