[Sca-cooks] Spice Measurement Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 18 19:20:01 PST 2009

Helenea asked:.

 > My question is, how much of the ground cumin corresponds to 2
teaspoons of whole?? Any suggestions?

As a rough estimate for your own cooking, I would use them 1:1.

Yes, there is going to be more ground cumin in the same measure
compared to that of whole cumin, but most spices start to lose more
of their aromatic oils once they are ground. See the past commentary
on this in the Florilegium spices-msg file. Since your ground cumin
was probably ground some time ago, the extra cumin will help make up
for some of these missing aromatics.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas