[Sca-cooks] Gulf Wars BBQ competition - sigh

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 09:52:59 PST 2009

Your Majesty;

I cannot help but agree. I was...appalled when I first read of it and I am still. And now, they want to bring in the Food Network? Whaat ARE these people thinking!

But, I think it can still be...'played with', if a concerted effort is taken by the cooks to keep it in Period.

Barbeque is a modern version of open fire cooking. Keeping that in mind, any meat can be cooked over an open fire, and never see a drop of red sauce. Period Verjuice and vinagar sauces, yes, but not the sweet TOMATO sauces so prevalent today.

You, yourself have experimented with spinning chickens and other means of cooking meat over a fire, so you understand the challenges, all too well.

If I may so humbly make a suggestion?
If I were in your shoes, I would suggest a special catagory for the Most Period set-up, as well as the Best use of Period Techniques, and Best Period Recipe. Challenge the Cooks to bring their Period Game, not the Modern Game.

May the best Period Cook Win!

Helen