[Sca-cooks] OOP: Tentative Lunar New Year Menu

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 18:54:31 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 7:47 PM, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

>> To my understanding from a friend who is learning to be Buddhist,
>> that
>> vegetarian meals are to be eaten in the first five days of the new
>> year for
>> cleansing. No meat, fish, or poultry. Buddha's Delight is
>> recommended for
>> those first 5 days. So I am assuming that maybe the added
>> scallions, shrimp
>> and oyster sauce is a newer form under the name and possibly made for
>> everyday restaurant meals and not for a meal during one of 5 days
>> after the
>> new year for a traditional Buddhist.
>
> I suspect this means that Adamantius and his family aren't Buddhist
> and don't keep Buddhist rules, but was interested in why they kept
> the name, when they add the seafood items.

My wife's family aren't practicing Buddhists. They're actually
Presbyterians (which makes for some interesting dinner-table
conversation right there, I can assure you, with the rude Catholic at
the end of the table poking fun at Calvin and Knox, etc.) who, like
most converted Chinese, have not given up their Taoist and Buddhist
traditions, especially those which don't conflict with the Christian
stuff.

However, as it happens, just to show that it isn't just medieval
Christians and Jews who get to argue about what they may or may not
eat and whether that disqualifies you from membership in a given
faith, here's a quote from the Buddha his ownself on the subject of
meat and fish being eaten by Buddhist monks:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/meat.html

According to that source, they're not barred from eating meat or fish;
they're primarily barred from killing meat or fish, or eating meat or
fish that has been specifically killed for their benefit.

As far as I can tell, therefore, going to the butcher shop and buying,
cooking and eating a steak is out, but one could argue that since
dried seafood is a storehouse item not specifically killed for the
monks to eat (the whole point of drying it being to extend its shelf-
life and therefore broaden its versatility). Essentially, a piece of
fresh meat from the butcher shop is a murdered animal, while dried
shrimp, oysters, and scallops, are more like inert storehouse grocery
staples.

I'm not saying this interpretation is logically unassailable, mind
you, but it's not up to me, is it? I'm just reporting that the
attitude is out there, and having lived all my life with Catholics who
bent the rules about meat a bit during Lent, and with Jews who were
not always fully observant of the rules for Kashrut, this doesn't come
as a big surprise to me.

And the Jai really is much better, even with a little oyster sauce.
Which, by the way, turns up frequently in a lot of Chinese vegetarian
cooking, in spite of its animal base.

Adamantius

Adamantius

bellies."