[Sca-cooks] peacocks

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 00:31:39 PST 2009

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> What does the L.A. County rule say? Does it say you can't eat or use a
> peacock skin in the county? Or just that you can't kill a peacock in
> L.A. county? Peacocks are raised in other areas and if you are just
> dressing up a turkey with one, you aren't eating it.
>
> Peacocks are messy and very noisy. I'm not sure why L.A. county thinks
> they need to be protected. Unless maybe the movie set are afraid of
> someone poaching their lawn ornaments. Sort of like the big rats with
> antlers (deer) around here. At least peacocks don't total your car if
> you hit one.

Ah, Friend Stefan, you keep me honest.  I think that it's not exactly
clear what the County rules are about peacocks, which are properly Feral
Domesticated Animals rather that Wild.  Maybe you can figure it out from
this trial, involving bird lovers vs. pest haters in the City of Palos
Verdes Estates and whether their Peacock Management Program was legal
and enforceable.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/californiastatecases/b177260.pdf

Selene