[Sca-cooks] New Year's Eve/Day repast

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 17:21:03 PST 2009

Jennifer Carlson wrote:

> My mother actually calls her children on New Year's Day to make sure we've
all eaten our black-eyed peas. . .
In Spain a Chinese china pill box containing lentils is given to each
guest upon entering the home on New Year's Eve today for good luck but I
believe chickpeas were served in the 15th Century.

I believe New Years was celebrated on 1 Jan but now yall have me doubting???

Suey

Yup, we are talking about New Year's Day.  New Year's Eve tends to be a
night with lots of big parties (not for me this year, I was finishing up the
ceremony I was performing yesterday).  New Year's Day has traditional foods
associated with it, particularly here in the South Eastern US where
black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread are usually served for luck and
prosperity.

Other New Year celebrations that are being discussed happen at different
times of the year for different cultures, Rosh Hashana for Jewish folk in
September, Samhain for those of the Celtic bent on Oct. 31st/Nov 1st, and
the Oriental New Year/Tet that is in late January this year.

All perfectly good reasons to celebrate!!
Christianna
Who just finished off a delicious bowl of greens, black-eyed peas and brown
rice, with Organic Flax Seed Oil drizzled over it! YUM!