[Sca-cooks] Early Irish food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 16:41:29 PST 2009

Etain said:

<<<    Yes!  Please send Stefan a copy....provided he gets it on the
site in  a
timely manner (hint! hint!, Stefan!)  >>>

LOL. Thanks, Etain.

I try to get new things onto the site in a timely manner.  I do
however, tend to let saved email messages, such as those on this
list,  collect until I have enough additions for a particular file to
be worth the overhead of editing and uploading and the rest of the
stuff that updating a file requires, before I update a file.  If you
are looking for info you remember being discussed here or you think a
file is aging, send me an email and I'll probably put updating that
file closer to the top of the priority list.

If you are an author who has sent me an article and you are wondering
what happened to it, please feel free to email me.  Many articles get
sidetracked when I have trouble translating their graphics to
something which will work in both Word and on the web (HTML).
Sometimes it takes me a while to get back to them.  It has also
happened that I didn't get an email with an article or I saved the
message for later work and it got buried.

<<< I'm particularly interested in  anyting to
do with the "27 foods from milk" I found mentioned in one of my
sources.  I
can't come up with that many...including yogurts, cheeses, and  sour
milks! >>>

That's a poor challenge. What is the dividing line between what is
and isn't a different item from another? Do a fresh and an aged
cheese count as one or two foods? Is yoghurt different than kefir for
this? You can eat milk based glue. Does it count as one of the 27 foods?

Here's a few others that occur to me and their Florilegium files.
milk drunk as milk.
kumiss-msg        (70K)  1/18/08    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
clotted-cream-msg (36K) 12/15/04    Clotted cream products.
Devonshire cream.
    (or does this count as 'sour milk'?)
larded-milk-msg   (20K) 11/ 8/05    Larded milk. A fried, fresh
cheese dish.
Does the whey used to preserve foods (ie: in Iceland) count? Or even
whey drunk as that?
butter?
Does dried milk count as different from milk?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com