[Sca-cooks] Beef stock

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 11 06:41:45 PST 2009

On Jan 11, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> I checked the Concordance of English Recipes
>> and there are a page and a half
>> of recipes that have either a title indicating broth or something to
>> do with broth as in "for henne in brothe" or "roo broth."
>> Something to go through when I have a spare moment.
>>
>> Johnnae
>
> "Roo broth?"  Roux, perhaps?  I don't have time to chase it at the
> moment, but that does look interesting.

Roe, as in roebuck, I believe.

The trouble is that the broths Johnnae mentions are mostly finished
soups -- in the non-English sources these would have names translated
into English, often by people like Scully, as brewets, to distinguish
them from what we think of as broths.

"Potion" gets such an undeservedly bad rap these days ;-)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter