[Sca-cooks] ginormous amounts of cabbage

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sun Jan 11 21:21:18 PST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2009, at 12:36 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
>> Adamantius replied to me with:
>>
>> < On Jan 9, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>> So what are you planning on making with this ginormous amount of
>> cabbage? Stuffed cabbages? >
>>
>> << It's being shredded, so I doubt it's being stuffed.>>
>>
>> Oops. Okay, I forgot that detail.  Are there any period dishes which are
>> stuffed with shredded cabbage instead of being stuffed in cabbage??
>
> I'm not sure, off the top of my head. Perhaps we should be asking what dish
> is actually being prepared, and whether it's being taken from a period
> source.

It's a pickled cabbage recipe from Ein Kochbuch aus dem Archiv des
Deutschen Ordens, found here:
http://www.greneboke.com/recipes/pickledcabbage.shtml. Well, that was some
of the cabbage. The rest got dressed with an olive oil/red wine
vinegar/sugar/salt/caraway seed dressing as a sort of extemporaneous
periodoid blanched cabbage salad.

I should remember that when doing cabbagey things for northern plains
people, that one should assume the servings are going to be very small.
Made twice as much as was necessary, as usual.

The lunch went swimmingly well--people seemed to be pleased with the
offering (sausage or spinach tart, the cabbage salads, cheese, apples,
shortbread, a cider mustard and a pear mustard, and lemonade), nobody
asked me for ketchup, I got a bunch of compliments which I was not
expecting, and I was able to dispose of leftovers without a problem. I had
as an able assistant a lady who just moved into town from Thescorre in
Aethelmarc, and thus got to introduce her to everyone who went through the
lunch line that I happened to know.

And today I spent the day in bed watching the world go by. It was
glorious. :-)

Margaret FitzWilliam