[Sca-cooks] Martino was Re: Happy about Scappi

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jan 16 07:39:22 PST 2009

You probably should also take a look at:
the Octavo  cd version of Martino also.

"Martino’s work has a particular importance, as it is the major source
for the recipes in the first epicure’s handbook to be published in
Europe, De Honesta Voluptate (On Virtuous Pleasure) of 1473-75 by the
Vatican librarian known as “Il Platina.” Platina’s printed book appeared
in numerous editions and exerted a wide influence; Martino’s work
survives only in a single manuscript, now in the Library of Congress.
This seminal text, in its wonderfully legible humanistic hand, is
reproduced in breathtaking facsimile in this Octavo Edition, along with
a new English translation by cookery historian Gillian Riley, which
brings the cultured savor of this Renaissance masterpiece into a useful
modern idiom. 176 pages, $35. " NOW $40 plus S/H

http://www.octavo.com/editions/mrtlac/

Then we could also talk about the full Italian versions by Benporat also.
Those are available too, but of course the Euro is still high versus the
dollar.

Johnnae