[Sca-cooks] Gulf Wars BBQ competition - sigh

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:42:45 PST 2009

> But is it really the modern version of anything, given that Columbus was > reporting that> the natives were roasting iguanas and fish over open fires in the 1490's.> One could research the barbecue topic and be surprised at what was > written about the actual practice in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Yes, I think it is pretty well agreed that Mankind has "barbecued" since a
caveman threw an aurochs steak on a rock. In period England was known
as the best roasters in the world.

That has nothing to do with the gist of the competition for Gulf Wars.
They want smoked and tomato or mustard basted modern 'que. I'm not
happy with this.

But I have suggested at least a period category. No word yet on that.
> Why not start with> /Savage Barbecue/: Race, Culture, and the Invention of America's First > Food by Andrew Warnes?
The book looks good.