[Sca-cooks] Sauerkraut

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jan 26 12:54:57 PST 2009

Laureen Hart wrote:

>One source said you should keep the kraut at 65-70 degrees for the first 4-5
>days so you get the correct leuconostoc started. After that time you can put
>it in a cooler location. At a secondary phase a second leuconostoc (iirc)
>takes over and increases the acidity.
>
>Has anyone here dealt with this when making kraut? I started 10 lb of
>cabbage and it is on my kitchen counter right now. I would prefer to move it
>to a back room that is not heated but don't want to mess it up. Most of the
>recipes seemed to go directly to the root cellar or garage.

Depends what "unheated" means in your neck of the woods.  If the area
you put it in doesn't get too cold (say, not dropping below 10-12C, it
should be fine, although the fermentation will be slow.  If it's more
like 0-10C, the fermentation will slow to a crawl and possibly even stop.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?