[Sca-cooks] Stalking the wild hakarl

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 4 16:08:27 PST 2009

Hullo, the list!

Some people asked for a report on the hakarl experience should it come
my way,  so here goes -- the faint of heart can skip to the end or be
content to learn that, once again, I have escaped death at the hands
(or fins) of some weird food.

So no shinola, there I was, after being asked by my friend what in
Heaven's name he was supposed to do with the stuff (and after I
canvassed opinions here and reported back to him, after which he stuck
it in his fridge to await my arrival, moral support and joint risk
assumption from yours truly). The lady who had dropped it off at his
house swore it needed to be boiled, but if I can't get corroboration
of the word of a lifelong vegetarian with narrow tastes, even by
vegetarian standards, I'm probably most likely to assume she doesn't
know what she's talking about, which is what we did.

Eric produced a small, sealed plastic tub of approximately 3/4-inch
whitish cubes of slightly niffy shark meat, a little airline bottle of
what he called schnapps, but which proved to be brennevijn, which is
the Icelandic equivalent of akvavit, which in turn is an ever-so-
slightly-sweet, not with added sugar, but from whatever starchy thing,
I assume potatoes and/or grain, it is made from, with a light caraway-
seed flavor, distilled spirit consumed in small shots, very cold,
often with things like gravlax and other fishy comestibles, as John
Cleese might call them. Like vodka, it can be a little harsh on the
throat, and serving it chilled helps. We had a regular-sized bottle of
Danish akvavit for when we ran out of the Icelandic brennevijn.

Since this is commonly eaten at various Scandinavian smorrebrots,
kalas, and smorgasbords, but most especially at the Icelandic
midwinter festival known as Thorrablot -- only muy macho foods need
apply -- I figured the best thing to do was to serve our hakarl with
some sort of brown bread and/or lefse, butter, finely chopped raw
sweet onion, and plenty of chilled brennevijn. Hey, if it's bad, that
other stuff could save almost anything and turn it into a positive
experience, and if it's good, even better, right? And, it's pretty
much the standard presentation for a wide spectrum of raw or chilled
Scandinavian seafoods, from poached crayfish or shrimp, to raw herring
fillets, to gravlax, etc. We thought about adding a garnish of chopped
hard-boiled egg, and decided against it, figuring we didn't want to
obliterate the fish flavor _too_ much.

So, we opened the tub, and, well, it was shark meat. Smelling faintly
of ammonia, which shark, ray, and skate often do when raw, slightly
oily, which shark meat often is, and somewhat firmer than I'd have
expected raw fish to be; I gather it is semi-desiccated, a little like
prosciutto, in the curing process.

I had read in a number of sources that hakarl was a bit like ripe
Camembert cheese, and it did have that aroma and flavor once the built-
up ammonia fumes had dissipated. It's still fish, though, and had the
oily richness one finds in salmon, trout, etc. I was a little
surprised to find it a little tough, but then shark meat is pretty
tough, with lots of connective tissue, but I'd have figured the whole
point of burying it would be to decrease that (and, in the case of
Greenland shark, to remove excess ammonia: certain deepwater fish have
some metabolic processes that cause ammonia to build up in their
muscle tissue, hence the need to age or marinate skate before serving,
or bury Greenland shark in the sand). However, I suspect this wasn't
cured as long as it used to be; whether it's too expensive to store it
and not sell it, or whether it's been toned down for the tourists, I
couldn't say.

My friend had to phone the lady who had given it to him, to thank her
and gloat a bit, I suppose, and let her know we were eating the
hakarl, at which point she reiterated her warning that we needed to
boil this stuff or we would surely die. She said something about renal
failure, and added that Anthony Bourdain and Jamie Oliver had both
said, independently, that hakarl was the worst thing they had ever
eaten in their lives, bar none -- I'm sitting there politely minding
my own business, when suddenly I hear my friend announce that his
buddy Phil said that Anthony Bourdain and Jamie Oliver are nothing but
a couple of wusses... I don't recall saying that, but perhaps it was
the schnapps talking; we were probably lucky to be able to say
anything at that point. I do sort of wonder about anyone who gives
someone a gift of food and says, "Here, this is potentially deadly;
you'll love it!"

Well, it was an interesting experience; the fish was just a bit chewy,
tasted faintly of both fish and cheese, did not kill me, gave me an
excuse to consume plenty of brennevijn and akvavit, and get a taste of
an extremely old tradition. I suspect the shark meat wasn't as old as
the tradition, but one never knows, do one? In the end, a little went
a very long way, and it's probably one of those things that it's good
to be able to say you experienced it once, but probably not good
enough for me to want to eat it regularly.

Brennevijn, on the other hand, provides an excellent excuse.

There was an interesting article in, I believe, the New York Times
travel section a week or two ago, in which the author attributed a new
Icelandic folk culinary renaissance to the foundering national
economy. Apparently there are entire generations of Icelanders who've
been living on sushi, sashimi, and imported smoked salmon from places
like Scotland, who know absolutely nothing of the foods their
grandparents ate. Now nobody has money to spare for imported luxury
food items, and the grocery stores are full of shelves of ram's head
cheese and testicles, both fresh and pickled in whey, dried haddock,
pickled whale blubber and smoked lamb, and there are hundreds of
thousands of unemployed yuppies now roaming the streets of Reykjavik,
getting their first experience of zen and the art of pickled ram's
testicles.

At least it isn't Spam.

Adamantius

bellies."