[Sca-cooks] Rice and servings

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 09:15:34 PST 2009

Just a quick question to see if my numbers are right ... this week and weekend and next week, I am prepping and cooking for al-Hafla. (I'm also the autocrat; yes, I quite agree with you that I am insane, but I have assembled five or six others besides me who are cooking, and I have kitchen volunteers the day of).

One of the dishes I am making is a basic rice, lentils, and onions dish (mujadara, spiced up with sumac, cinnamon, white pepper, fenugreek, sea salt, and a touch of cardamom). I plan to use basmati rice. Estimated serving sizes I found on an ag extension Website talked of 1 pound of rice being 12 servings.

I figured one 15-pound bag of rice should do it for the event, which could range from 50 to 120 people, depending on weather and daytrippers. My question is, am I underestimating?

Gianotta