[Sca-cooks] Frugal turkey cooking

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:08:21 PST 2009

We just found out today that my husband has been laid off indefinitely.
Still has a job, but they have no idea when work will come in, so no work,
no hours. We were given a whole frozen turkey, that's now defrosting in the
fridge. I really feel the need to make this turkey last as long as possible,
for as cheap as possible. So, ideas? What's the most frugal way to use it?
My first thought would be to roast it whole, then use the bones for stock,
and the left over meat for sandwiches/pasta salad/soup, but I'd love to hear
other ideas. I imagine we won't cook the turkey until tomorrow night or
Wednesday (our fridge runs quite cold at the bottom)

Thanks!

Ilsebet