[Sca-cooks] Scappi and Granado

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 12:22:26 PST 2009

I'm starting to check recipes that I've translated from Granado to see
if they were taken from Scappi.  First recipe is the one for cider**
sauce.  My translation and redaction is on my website.
http://breadbaker.tripod.com/sauces.html
The recipe (which Scully translates more literally as "To prepare
apple-juice sauce") *is* in Scappi, as is the quince-juice recipe of
which it is a variation.  However, Granado changes both recipes by
specifying that the juice should be cooked with whole spices:
cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

I will have to start adding some of this info to my website.

** A perpetual source of confusion for speakers of the sundered
branches of the English language.  By cider, I mean sweet cider, ie.,
the non-alcoholic, unfiltered juice of crushed apples (no sugar
added).  "Apple juice", in American usage, is filtered cider -- a
clear, golden liquid.  "Hard cider" is the alcoholic stuff.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com